O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They did let Reyes go, sounds like they have his replacement.

On the bright side, the video bio  of him on mlb.com says there is some "swing and miss" to his game and his fielding skills are "okay".  They think he'll be moved to 1B or LF.  You can never have enough big, plodding guys that strike out a lot in your organization, I say.

Just now, Yossarian said:

On the bright side, the video bio  of him on mlb.com says there is some "swing and miss" to his game and his fielding skills are "okay".  They think he'll be moved to 1B or LF.  You can never have enough big, plodding guys that strike out a lot in your organization, I say.

I should add one-dimensional to that statement.  Love these guys.

Just now, Yossarian said:

It does it get awful hot in the summertime, I'm sure a steady breeze will be welcome in the stadium.

I was genuinely optimistic coming into this draft. I quickly became pessimistic after the second and 3rd pick. Then genuinely disappointed. Now alarmed. 

I think the only way this draft could have worked for us is if we could trade down 5-6 or 15-20 slots to take the guy we really wanted. 

7 minutes ago, baltfan said:

The Orioles are going to be signing soooooo many $20k pitchers.

I'm no expert... but I don't think there's going to be very many at all of the $20k signs, for any team. Maybe some college seniors but even they will have another year of eligibility. If I'm a HS senior, $20k is a pittance when you have a full ride to a good school. Get an education and play in some of the best organizations in the country. Plus be kings of the campus and rock stars on the field.

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

I'm no expert... but I don't think there's going to be very many at all of the $20k signs, for any team. Maybe some college seniors but even they will have another year of eligibility. If I'm a HS senior, $20k is a pittance when you have a full ride to a good school. Get an education and play in some of the best organizations in the country.

I think you'll get some HS kids that just don't want to go to school or don't have a school to go to.

Not that many "full rides" out there for baseball players.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think you'll get some HS kids that just don't want to go to school or don't have a school to go to.

Not that many "full rides" out there for baseball players.

I guess lesser talents... like a second tier. I didn't think of that. Top guys surely all have scholarships. But you're right, guys that have talent, and don't have scholarships, a lot of them could sign.